If you are looking for a rewarding new career at Walmart, the Walmart Sales Associate position may be for you! Walmart hires thousands of people every year, whether they’re full or part-time employees.
So, if you’re wondering what it takes to be a sales associate at Walmart, I’ve done extensive research on the position, finding everything you need to know!
Sales Associate Walmart In 2022
Walmart Sales Associates work the sales floor and are in direct contact with customers as of 2022. Also, Sales Associates are responsible for assisting customers as they complete their shopping. In addition, the sales associate works collaboratively with other departments to maintain security and help with payments.
If you’re not sure working as a Walmart Sales Associate is the right career path for you, read on to find out all you need to know about being a Walmart Sales Associate!
What Is A Walmart Sales Associate?
Walmart associates are the backbone of the company, as they’re the ones who make sure that Walmart customers are getting what they need when they visit the store.
Aside from sales, Walmart sales associates are responsible for various tasks from register operation to merchandising.
What Are The Duties And Responsibilities Of A Walmart Sales Associate?
Similar to cash register associates, the Walmart Sales associate is an hourly front-end store position.
In addition to working on the sales floor in each department at Walmart, Walmart Sales associates are expected to:
- Walk around five miles a day assisting customers and filling online order requests.
- Review online customer orders, locate, and select merchandise in preparation for shipping or delivery services.
- Verify the accuracy of customer orders before delivery.
- Exhibit exceptional customer service by greeting everyone with a smile, thanking customers for shopping at Walmart, and presenting a positive attitude.
- Work in any weather to ensure customer orders are dispensed quickly and accurately.
- Ensure merchandise is appropriately secured, priced, and labeled.
- Replenish items low in stock from the warehouse.
- Promptly clean up spills and misplaced items on the floor that are safety hazards.
- Apparel associates must understand fitting room guidelines, sizing, and rack rules.
- Support other departments as needed based on training.
How Much Do Walmart Sales Associates Make?
Relative to the variety of job responsibilities required of Walmart Sales associates, the expected hourly pay rate is between $12 and $17 per hour.
That said, Walmart Sales associates earn the same starting pay as other entry-level positions such as cashiers and food and grocery associates.
Moreover, Walmart associates make a median wage of $17,500 per year based on hours available for work.
Despite the low starting pay, pay increases are available at Walmart if you display an outstanding work ethic and are committed to the company.
For example, experienced Walmart Sales associates (20+ years) can see as much as a 23% increase in their starting pay rate.
What Qualifications Do You Need To Be A Walmart Sales Associate?
Walmart is always looking for customer service-oriented individuals that have friendly personalities and enjoy working with people.
In support of Walmart’s commitment to excellent customer service, Walmart Sales Associates should be expected to have the following qualifications:
- Understanding of basic mathematics, reading, and writing
- Showcase remarkable customer service skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Speak clearly
- Ability to operate a cash register
- Able to follow directions
- Knowledgeable about products available in the store
How Old Must I Be To Work As A Walmart Sales Associate?
For entry-level positions such as Walmart Sales associates, you must be a minimum of 16 years old for employment.
How Can You Find Walmart Sales Associate Jobs Near You?
Like all other positions at Walmart, you may find openings at stores near you by visiting the Walmart Career Center Webpage.
With that, it’s important to note Walmart’s website allows interested applicants to search for openings by zip code.
Additionally, interested applicants can visit their local Walmart to meet with a recruiter or use this link to submit information, and a recruiter will reach out to you.
How Do I Apply For A Walmart Sales Associate Position?
As with other Walmart positions, interested applicants must set up a profile before applying, which they can do by clicking on the “General Merchandiser” link on the career webpage.
After reviewing the job description to ensure you meet the requirements, click the “Apply” button to be directed to the hiring center.
Next, applicants will be asked their region and must agree to the terms and conditions before proceeding.
At this point, applicants can log in to an existing account or enter information to create an account.
Following the creation of your profile, you will begin to fill in the additional application questions.
How Can I Prepare For The Walmart Sales Associate Interview?
Once hiring managers have reviewed the submitted applications, the most qualified applicants will be put aside and contacted for an interview.
Before interviewing, applicants should take these steps to prepare.
- Review requirements and duties for the Walmart Sales associate role.
- Visit the store you will be working at to familiarize yourself with operations, staff, and layout.
- Prepare questions you have for the interviewing managers.
During the interview, you should expect questions related to company changes, team dynamics, and your past retail experiences.
For example, here are a few questions you may see:
- What is the one most important thing on your team, and why?
- Name a time you have had to work with a difficult person, and how did you handle it?
What Is The Dress Code For A Walmart Sales Associate?
Without a doubt, the most iconic item associated with Walmart is the blue vest.
Although this is a staple piece for Walmart employees, there are additional requirements in the dress code to know.
That said, Walmart associates are required to abide by the following dress code:
- Associates can wear jeans of any color (without holes).
- Any solid color shirt or patterned shirt is allowed.
- Both management level and hourly workers can wear sneakers.
- Shorts may be worn only in select departments or circumstances.
- No open-toe shoes are permitted on store property.
Are There Temporary Positions Available For Walmart Sales Associates?
If you are searching for a part-time or temporary position, you will be pleased to know plenty are available for Walmart Sales associates.
With that, temporary staff receive the same training as full-time staff, and many are full-time Walmart employees.
At Walmart, the Walmart Sales associate position is vital for providing customers with a successful shopping experience.
In addition to assisting customers in departments, the Walmart Sales associate supports the other entry-level front-end roles.
In conclusion, the Walmart Sales associate role is perfect for team players that love interacting with the public.
If you have a strong background in customer service, this is the ideal role for you!