Do you know what time Walmart shuts down alcohol sales at its locations? You can buy almost anything at Walmart, but there are certain restrictions regarding alcohol sales.
It can be pretty difficult to remember all the regulations for alcohol sales at Walmart locations in the US and Canada, so I made this handy guide to highlight some things to keep in mind!
What Time Does Walmart Selling Alcohol In 2022?
The time in which Walmart starts and stops selling alcohol depends on your state and county. Typically, many Walmart locations start selling alcohol from 6-7 am and stop selling alcohol from 8 pm – 2 am. Customers can search for their zip code on Walmart.com to see the times in which their local Walmart starts/stops selling alcohol.
To learn more about times, states, and more, keep reading to learn all the ins and outs on the times Walmart sells alcohol!
What Time Does Walmart Stop Selling Alcohol On Sunday & Other Days?
Many people are confused about what time Walmart stops selling alcohol on Sundays. With that, even though Walmart will sell alcohol on Sunday, don’t expect to buy it at any point in the day.
Since prohibition days, the government has heavily regulated the sales on Sundays to preserve the typical day of worship.
Due to religious implications and societal norms, alcohol sales begin later on Sundays in many areas.
Also, there’s no company requirement for Sunday sales, but sales generally start after 1 pm in the Southern US states. Further, the following states sell alcohol at Walmart during the listed times:
- Delaware (12 pm-8 pm)
- Indiana (12 pm-8 pm)
- Iowa (12 pm-8 pm)
- Kansas (12 pm-11 pm)
- Kentucky (1 pm-2 am)
- Michigan (12 pm- 2 am)
- Nebraska (12 pm-1 am)
- New Mexico (12 pm-12 am)
- New York (12 pm-9 pm)
- North Carolina (12 pm-9 pm)
- Texas (12 pm-12 am)
- West Virginia (1 pm -2 am, beer and wine only)
In several states, there are no alcohol sales at all on Sunday, such as the following states:
- Alabama (certain counties ban alcoholic beverage sales on Sunday)
- Louisiana (certain counties ban alcoholic beverage sales on Sunday)
- Maryland (Garrett and Baltimore county prohibit the sale of alcoholic beverages on Sunday)
- Mississippi (no alcohol sales on Sunday in the state)
- New Jersey (certain counties ban alcoholic beverage sales on Sunday)
- Oklahoma (no sales on Sunday in the state)
- South Carolina (various Sunday alcohol sale restrictions)
- Tennessee (liquor and wine sales are restricted on Sunday)
- Utah (no sales on Sunday in the state)
For the remaining states, you can purchase alcohol early in the day on Sunday and any other day of the week, such as:
- Alaska (6 am-2 am any day of the week)
- Arizona (6 am-2 am any day of the week)
- Arkansas (7 am-1 am, although select counties are dry and have restrictions)
- California (6 am-2 am any day of the week)
- Colorado (8 am-12 am any day of the week)
- Connecticut (8 am-6 pm any day of the week)
- District of Columbia (9 am-12 am any day of the week)
- Florida (7 am-12 am any day of the week)
- Hawaii (6 am-12 am any day of the week)
- Idaho (6 am-1 am any day of the week)
- Illinois (varies depending on city guidelines)
- Maine (9 am-1 am any day of the week)
- Massachusetts (10 am-11 pm any day of the week)
- Minnesota (11 am-6 pm any day of the week)
- Missouri (9 am-12 am any day of the week)
- Montana (10 am-8 pm any day of the week)
- Nevada (24-hour alcohol sales seven days a week)
- New Hampshire (6 am-11:45 pm any day of the week)
- Ohio (5:30 am-1 am any day of the week)
- Oregon (7 am-2:30 am any day of the week)
- Pennsylvania (11 am-7 pm any day of the week)
- Rhode Island (10 am-6 pm any day of the week)
- South Dakota (7 am-2 am any day of the week)
- Tennessee (8 am-11 pm any day of the week, wine and liquor excluded)
- Vermont (8 am-10 pm any day of the week)
- Virginia (6 am-12 am any day of the week)
- Washington (6 am-2 am any day of the week)
- Wisconsin (6 am to 9 pm for liquor, 6 am to 12 am for beer and wine any day of the week)
- Wyoming (6 am-2 am any day of the week)
Can I Buy Liquor At Walmart In Texas?
Many Texans are shocked when they discover that they can buy their favorite alcoholic beverages at Walmart.
However, there are some restrictions that you should know about before heading out to purchase alcohol.
That said, Walmart customers living in Texas can find a state-specific guideline for alcohol sales on the Texas Alcohol And Beverage Commission’s website.
Therefore, establishments that carry it can sell beer or wine at these specific times:
- Monday – Friday (7 am-midnight)
- Saturday (7 am –1 am)
- Sunday (noon-midnight)
Further, when an establishment holds a beer and wine license, they cannot sell drinks with 17% or less alcohol by volume on Sunday after 10 pm or after 10 pm on any other day of the week.
Although Walmart sells alcoholic beverages, sales are limited to beer and wine since it only holds a beer and wine license.
What Time Does Walmart Stop Selling Alcohol In Oklahoma?
Up until 2018, Oklahoma had a law that restricted the sale of refrigerated alcoholic beverages. Now seven days a week, you can buy beer and wine at grocery stores from 6 am-2 am.
But, if you want to buy harder alcoholic beverages from liquor stores, you better make it there before midnight as the hours to purchase drinks from liquor stores are between 8 am, and 12 am.
What Time Does Walmart Stop Selling Alcohol In Indiana?
Like Oklahoma, Indiana long held onto a prohibition-era law forbidding the sale of cold alcoholic drinks.
As a matter of fact, Indiana was the last state to drop this law and allow alcohol sales from 12 pm-8 pm, seven days a week.
Also, another interesting fact about Indiana is that they’re one of only 26 states that allow grocery stores to sell hard liquor.
Furthermore, the other states with the same law in place include:
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- North Dakota
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
What Time Does Walmart Stop Selling Alcohol In California?
If you live in California, there are no real restrictions on alcohol sales, and you can buy from Walmart from 6 am-2 am.
What Time Does Walmart Stop Selling Alcohol In Ohio?
Several counties in Ohio are considered “dry,” meaning they can’t sell alcohol within the county limits.
For example, in New Albany and parts of Adams county, alcoholic drinks cannot be sold or consumed in public. But, in all other areas, you can buy alcohol from 5:30 am-1 am.
What Time Does Walmart Stop Selling Alcohol In Virginia?
Retail stores in Virginia can sell alcoholic beverages from 6 am-12 am Monday through Sunday.
What Time Does Walmart Stop Selling Alcohol In Utah?
While you may think a state as deeply associated with religion as Utah would have extremely strict regulations on alcohol.
However, the state allows beer and wine of less than 5% alcohol by volume to be sold at grocery stores between 11:30 am-1 am every day except Sunday.
What Time Does Walmart Stop Selling Alcohol In Florida?
Although Florida has a wide window to purchase alcohol (7 am-12 am, seven days a week), you may be surprised to learn that there’s a limit on how much you can buy at one time.
That said, state regulations only allow you to purchase 32 ounces at once.
Can You Buy Alcohol From Walmart On Election Day?
In some countries, drinking and alcohol sales are frowned upon on Election Day. Once upon a time, the United States shared this sentiment.
But as of 2014, there are no more restrictions on alcohol sales on Election Day.
Can You Buy Alcohol From Walmart On Holidays?
During the holiday season, it’s common for there to be many gatherings and other festivities that serve alcoholic beverages.
Until recently, it was illegal to sell alcohol on any holiday in Tennessee. However, now you can have alcoholic drinks at your New Year, Fourth Of July, or Memorial Day parties.
Just try to stock up on drinks a few days before Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas since the ban is still in place for these holidays.
Does Walmart Sell Alcohol In Ontario, Canada?
While grocery stores may be open round the clock like in the states, there’s still a limit on hours for alcohol sales.
For example, customers can purchase beer at Walmart from Monday to Saturday from 9 am-9 pm and Sunday from 11 am-6 pm.
Furthermore, additional restrictions include:
- Only singles and six-packs can be purchased.
- Beer available for purchase must be under 7.1% alcohol by volume.
- Sales must be at specially designated beer lines.
What Is Walmart’s Policy On Selling Alcohol?
Along with selling general merchandise, Walmart also sells different types of alcoholic beverages at its stores.
However, while many locations operate 24-7, there are limited hours to purchase alcohol.
According to Walmart’s policy on alcohol sales, in most areas of the United States and Ontario, Canada, alcohol can be purchased on any day of the week.
But, state and local regulations impact purchasing alcohol at any retail store in other areas.
What Type Of Alcohol Does Walmart Sell?
Since Walmart is considered a grocery or superstore rather than a liquor store, you shouldn’t expect to find hard alcohol there.
Still, some Walmart stores do sell hard liquor; it just depends on the location. So, at most stores, Walmart sells different varieties of:
- Spirits (wine coolers, malt liquor, lemonade/flavored drinks)
Can You Buy Alcohol From Walmart Online?
If you’re of legal drinking age (21 years or older in the US), Walmart allows you to purchase alcoholic beverages via the website or Walmart app.
However, you must follow several guidelines for online orders containing alcoholic beverages.
For example, before you can schedule a delivery or pickup, the Walmart customer must agree to the online Alcohol Disclosure.
Furthermore, the Walmart Alcohol Disclosure reads that:
- You need to provide a signature, confirm that you are over 21, and present a valid government ID at pick up or delivery (forms of ID include driver’s license, US Immigration cards, passports, military ID, Tribal ID, and state-issued ID cards).
- Alcohol sales are not eligible to use coupons, discounts, or and other outside sales promotions. They are also not tax-exempt.
- Customers cannot make purchases of more than 20 gallons of any combination of alcoholic beverages at one time.
- If the delivery driver suspects that the customer is intoxicated, they will refuse delivery.
What Is The Latest Time You Can Buy Alcohol At Walmart?
If you work odd hours, you are used to the missing cutoff for alcohol sales at bars or open hours for many retail locations.
However, you can purchase alcoholic beverages at late hours or even early morning in many Walmart locations!
Unfortunately, alcohol sales at Walmart don’t have a uniform policy dictating when to cut off sales, which leads to confusion if customers move or visit unfamiliar locations.
If you have more questions, you can search the locations state Alcohol and Beverage Commission website for more information.